Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_14_] Doug[_14_] is offline

Default old water spot on sheetrock

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 15:19:14 -0500, Norminn
wrote:

On 1/3/2012 1:27 PM, Doug wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 12:53:31 -0500,
wrote:

On 1/3/2012 10:06 AM, Doug wrote:
I want to use Kiln on the sheetrock where an old (now dry) water spot
was. It's brown and slightly black spots in a small area of the
sheetrock. I was thinking to either apply 2 or 3 coats of kiln
before the correct matching paint or perhaps a little bleach on the
spot and allowed to dry before applying kiln. I might also lightly
sand the wall before either method. Which method do you think I
should consider to do?

It's been my experience that, once wet, sheetrock becomes soft and
powdery. Might be a good idea to dig it out and patch. Wiping the
entire surface with mild solution of cleaner and/or bleach should not
hurt...Kilz is a brand, not a specific primer. Any quality primer
should work just fine if used according to label.

I will consider this as a last option. The wet ... actually damp spot
is the size of a quarter and tho it's taking a LONG time to fully dry,
I would rather give it the time to dry. So far, the sheetrock seems
firm even in that remaining spot but maybe if I pushed really hard in
that small spot, it might collapse, dunno but I'd rather not do that
at this time. I think(??) that with enough time it will dry tho I'm
beginning to use a hair dryer to help.

Seems odd to have a spot that size that takes a long time to dry...I
assume you know the source of the moisture and it is corrected?

Agreed and yes and yes. Roof vent pipe leak and repaired. Has not
rained since repair so spot should dry. Of course I don't really know
if the leak is repaired for sure until next rain but since it has not
rained, the spot should dry. I'd really like it to dry so I can paint
it before next rain so I know leak is fixed tho I can go back in attic
to check like I did the first time.

I'm going to keep your idea in the back of my head as the last resort.
Hopefully I won't have to do that but I appreciate your idea in case.