Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

On 1/3/2012 9:22 AM, notbob wrote:
On 2012-01-03, The Daring wrote:

You are an exception to rule when it comes to computer users. When I get
a call that a computer or POS "Point Of Sale", not the other
connotation, is not working at a well known women's clothing store, I
usually find something unplugged. In the good old days of The PC, you
had to be a geek to make anything work, especially Usenet but alas, the
dumb masses descended on computers with a vengeance and all we geeks can
do is cope and hope to survive without shooting ourselves or anyone
else in the head. o_O

Sad, but true.

It really came home to me when I asked a buncha geezers (like myself)
at a potluck if anyone would be interesting in learning linux. One
ol' codger immediately piped up, "I'll give up my Windows when they
pry it from my cold dead hands". After picking my jaw up off the
floor, it dawned on me the irrepressible freedom loving American is a
myth. We've become so lulled by corporate America and the creature
comforts it provides that we'll sacrifice any liberty to maintain the
illusion. Actually, it's waaaay beyond sad and has passed straight
into damn scary!

nb

The human life expectancy being what it is seems merciful....I could not
stand another 15 years of "progress" )

I have photos of my grandson's 16th b'day party....allegedly had a lot
of fun....several kids can be seen standing alone with iPod/phone in
hand. It seemed really oddly "electronic age" until it occurred to me
that kids can "talk" all the time and not be close enough to have sex
) Other grandsons are tight-lipped about what-in-the-world there is
to text about all day long.....of course, if I texted the question, I'd
likely get an answer. Smart phone is nice to have when I'm cooking
dinner or in some damn waiting room....Angry Birds is fun, although the
real function of the smart phone is more complex than my old phone that
only made phone calls. Another labor-saving gadget to keep addys and
phone numbers in ( I'm hoping they invent a phone with a keyboard
large enough for adult-sized fingers!