Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] alan200@iinet.net.oz is offline

Default Turning Chisels Follow up

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 11:26:31 -0600, "James"
wrote:
Price wise the P&N's are the most reasonable but require
handles. I'm considering buying one handle (wood) to use as a template
and making my own.

P&N's are good quality and mine retain an edge for a reasonable
time considering that I am mostly turning Jarrah, which is quite
abrasive. Do not buy the P&N handle, I found them to be too short
and uncomfortable. Make your own and mark them for type, eg bowl,
spindle, parting etc. All mine fit in a carousel and only the
handle is visible so I rely on the colour code and position.

One of your best investments will be an 8" or preferably 10"
grinder with 80 & 120 grit white wheels ( some people prefer 60 & 100
grit ). I also have an inexpensive Tormek clone with a cloth wheel
at the high speed end for honing.

A good investment is a cheap set to learn to sharpen on, much
better to grind away a $3 chisel than a $40+ one while learning.
Strangely, I often use one of the cheapies when making pens or other
small spindle stuff.

Alan