Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Free Router

On 1/3/12 7:02 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
On 1/2/2012 11:44 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/2/12 10:20 PM, m II wrote:
A falling object will max out at it's terminal velocity based on it's
air resistance and weight. For a bullet it should be close to the
vertical component of the muzzle velocity. It will always be less than
vertical muzzle velocity, though, in an atmosphere. The horizontal
velocity component will also be less depending totally on length of
flight.

Mythbusters tacked this. I realize they aren't the bastion of scientific
method, but they did a pretty good job in this instance.

Yes, a bullet fired straight into the air, perpendicular to the ground,
will slow down, reach an apex, fall down to earth reaching terminal
velocity which isn't lethal.

Tell that to the next-of-kin of people who have been killed by bullets
falling from the sky.

Maybe you should've read the rest of my post, Doug.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--