Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stanley Schaefer Stanley Schaefer is offline

Default Kirkland batteries leak before their time

On Jan 3, 10:25*am, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article op.v7hp2jmx36zgkh@2011-dellbert,

*WayneJ wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 19:40:24 -0800, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

I'm sure they will replace the bad batteries, but that is not the issue.

The equipment at risk is far more expensive than the battery cells.
Even one ruined bit of kit overwhelms the savings on the cheap batteries.

So, it's one strike and you're out --- for life. *No appeals.

Joe Gwinn

If I followed that policy I'd be running short of battery suppliers since
I've had the same thing happen with duracell, enegizer and ray-o-vac
batteries among others. Sometimes you can get a bad cell from any
manufacturer.

I've had lots of US made batteries die after some years, always after
their "best if used by" date, but six months, with two years to go on
best-by? *Never had that happen.

Another poster said that Kirkland may be made by Duracell. *While this
may be true, I'm sure they were severely price constrained, and may have
been forced to leave a step or component out to meet the required max
cost.

Joe Gwinn- Hide quoted text -

I interviewed with Eveready back in the Union Carbide days, went
through the 9V battery plant. They also made batteries for K-Mart.
The difference was that the name-brand got 6 weeks storage at elevated
temperatures after assembly and testing, then they weeded out the dead
and weak ones on an automated tester line. The house brands didn't
pay for that, they just got run through once, right after assembly.
I'm sure there were probably other cost-cutting measures, the
management was big on that. Secret sauce for the name-brand, etc.
The difficulty is, in the race for the bottom, how far can you go
before stuff becomes crap? We are about there, I think.

I've been getting Panasonic and Fuji alkalines and have had no
leakers, yet. Price was decent, too. Check the country of origin.

Stan