Posted to uk.d-i-y
john east john east is offline

Default Change lamp lamp from 100volts to 240 volts

"Colin Stamp" wrote in message
news
On 02/01/12 12:55, john east wrote:
Was given this Aquarium lamp which originally made for use in Japan and
have
been using it here in the U.K. plugged into a 100volt transformer. Its
now
flickering on and off like there is no tomorrow.

Presumably I can buy a new similar lamp which works on 240 volt rather
than
100volt? But what to do to replace this item which says Ballast on the
label?

Photo of all the bits on a host web site

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=15q65uv&s=5

On the cover it says: 'Ballast', M/No. PL13-1005/6 PL13W x 1.
Imput:100V
50/60Hz 0.285A.

And on the Lamp it says: Aqua Lux 13W 7200K

Grateful for any advice on how to set it all up to work on 240 volts.
Thanks.

================================================== ======================================
You'll probably have trouble finding a plug-top ballast cheaply - they're
the kind of thing you only ever see as part of a complete fitting. It'd
probably be less hassle to buy a whole new fitting.

The supply voltage is irrelevant to the tube, so a UK-sourced tube should
run fine in the fitting with the ballast and transformer as before.
Cheers,
Colin.

So it looks to me that Colin's advice of getting a U.K. tube, (since the
supply voltage is irrelevant to the tube) is the easiest and cheapest
solution. Thanks and thanks to all.