Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless
NotMe NotMe is offline

Default Does having multiple RJ45 jacks degrade the Internet signal a lot?

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 20:51:18 -0800, miso wrote:

Photomast looks real Rube Goldberg. Just how expensive is a news van
with telescoping mast?

Dunno. Here's the MCI MMDS site survey van circa 2001:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/Van-tower.jpg
I think it lasted about a week before it fell over.

In any outdoor design, there is the school of "weep hole", and the
school of watertight. Some people claim sealed units really aren't
sealed, so whatever water does get in will eventually do damage. Hence
they come up with a weep hole. The other school of thought is to seal
everything up like a drum.

I'm in the weep hole skool. My logic is that the only effective water
seal is a pressurized box. Anything less will eventually leak water.
So, unless it's hermetically sealed, and dry air pressurized, it needs
a drain hole.

Back to CAT5, I notice Moto Canopy setups leave the data cable exposed.

Yep. As long as the connector drains water out of the package, it
will work. Gold on gold connectors won't rot. Maybe do it like the
telcos and smear some silicon grease into the connector. Seems to
work for the outdoor POTS NIU.

Come to think of it, I've seen some satellite hookups where the coax is
in the LNB(F) support arm.

Yep. All of mine. The compression style F connector is a good water
seal. (Note: Not all F connectors are suitable for outdoor use).

Marine boxes are sealed and do a good job. We'd add a block of camphor
before we closed them up and over near 40 years of working off shore never
had a box leak (save ones that were mechanically damaged)