Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Happy New Year! (12 year old boy hit by stray bullet - will likely be a vegetable if he lives)

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 21:40:44 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:

Interestingly, it's illegal to buy a gun (as a gift, for instance)
for someone else, even a spouse. I would never do such a thing. "Of
course the pink revolver is for me, sweetie.".

In what benighted jurisdiction is that true? There's a difference in intent
between a straw-purchase and a gift purchase and, inasmuch as "intent" is a
necessary element of every criminal offense, if you intend the weapon as a
gift, no foul.

Vermont. I was told it was federal. They told me the same thing here in
Alabama. The name on the yellow-sheet was for the end user. I mentioned,
both times how silly it was since it was perfectly legal for me to transfer it
after. ...and my wife? Oh, she was told the same thing when she said she was
going to buy one for me. Nope. No can do. I only assumed it was federal. It
couldn't be a Vermont gun law. They don't have any. ;-)

Federal law certainly allows you can buy a gun as a present or to overcome
some other disability.

How else does a 12-year old get his first .22? Or his first Barrett 50-cal?

He doesn't. His parents do.