Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Lets have green public transport

On Jan 2, 6:07*pm, Andy Champ wrote:

I don't know where you've been, but lots of conventional IC engined cars
now use their alternator to store energy when slowing.

No they dont.

BMW call it "Efficient Dynamics". *I suspect it makes F-all difference
though - just takes a little load off the engine while under load,
rather than storing it to accelerate with.

Andy

Well they would have to have somewhere to store this energy.

I seem to remember that BMW were working on an ICE that had few
mechanical parts, every thing was electric. Water pump, oil pump,
valves, cooling fan, steering, AC, fuel injection. They were using
heat from the exhaust with a thermopile to charge the battery,
therefore no alternator.
There was only a crankshaft, con rods valves and pistons. No camshaft.

Dunno what became of it.