Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall[_2_] Adrian Brentnall[_2_] is offline

Default Change lamp lamp from 100volts to 240 volts

On 02/01/2012 13:33, dennis@home wrote:

"john east" wrote in message
Was given this Aquarium lamp which originally made for use in Japan
and have been using it here in the U.K. plugged into a 100volt
transformer. Its now flickering on and off like there is no tomorrow.

Presumably I can buy a new similar lamp which works on 240 volt rather
than 100volt? But what to do to replace this item which says Ballast
on the label?

Photo of all the bits on a host web site

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=15q65uv&s=5

On the cover it says: 'Ballast', M/No. PL13-1005/6 PL13W x 1.
Imput:100V 50/60Hz 0.285A.

And on the Lamp it says: Aqua Lux 13W 7200K

Grateful for any advice on how to set it all up to work on 240 volts.
Thanks.

Buy a new ballast and lamp from an aquarium shop.
I would chuck the whole thing as I don't like the way the tube connects
assuming its those floating wires I can see.
I have seen similar lights in my local shop for about £20 ( same tube,
240V ballast and a proper holder for the lamp).

You could use some LED strips like the lidl ones for £15 or from eBay.

No you couldn't!
The phosphors on aquarium tubes are chosen to provide the right spectrum
of light for fish, plants, corals etc - in some cases a mixture of
different fluorescent tubes and/or gas discharge lighting is used - LED
strips from LIDL are almost certainly not suitable.
It's not just 'a pretty light' that's required.

Adrian