Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default OT The metric conversion of the US would happen if they taught itin school.

On Jan 2, 4:52*am, Harry K wrote:
On Jan 1, 10:52*am, "

wrote:
On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 08:03:01 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

On Jan 1, 5:19*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 00:17:59 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 16:18:58 -0500, willshak
wrote:

Ask anyone how many units in pints or quarts those 2 liter bottles
contain. Even I'd have to look it up for the exact figure. I believe
it's a little less than a quart (I would have to look it up to see if my
guess is correct, but I won't).
Being exposed to the metric system does not mean that one understands it.

You have to "want" to understand it. *If you look at that 2 liter soda
bottle, it will show you it is 67.6 ounces and no, I did not have to
look it up. *Wine and spirits are 750 ml and 1 liter too.

My teachers made a valiant attempt to teach me metric in the 60's but
I still have to go from 7.62mm=.30caliber to understand metric sizes.
And I've survived with the limited knowledge. * There's things I'd
rather clutter my brain with.

Jim- Hide quoted text -

You wouldn't be "cluttering your brai" if you would just give up
converting one to the other. *If they did away with this abortion
tomorrow, by Wednesday you would have no problem...correction, by the
first time you bought gas or some groceries youwouldn't even notice.
I buy a "loaf" of bread and I have no clue as to its weight in either
system. *I buy a case of beer - again I have no idea if it is packed
in metric or our screwed up system. *Same with nuts, bolts, distance,
etc.

loaf of bread - the one in my refrig is not "1 pound", I just
looked.

Of course not. *An egg doesn't weigh a pound either. *So?- Hide quoted text -

The point is that I bet most people think they are buying a pound of
bread.

I doubt if most people even have a guess at how much the package
contains when they buy something - they just grab a box or bottle
"that size".

Our system cannot be defended on any basis other than "it has always
been that way".

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

There a good reasons for the imperial system.
Consider the number of factors of both 1760 and 2240.