Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default OT The metric conversion of the US would happen if they taught itin school.

On Jan 2, 4:49*am, Harry K wrote:
On Jan 1, 9:41*am, harry wrote:

On Jan 1, 4:36*pm, Metspitzer wrote:

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 01:51:49 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Jan 1, 5:17*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 16:18:58 -0500, willshak
wrote:

Ask anyone how many units in pints or quarts those 2 liter bottles
contain. Even I'd have to look it up for the exact figure. I believe
it's a little less than a quart (I would have to look it up to see if my
guess is correct, but I won't).
Being exposed to the metric system does not mean that one understands it.

You have to "want" to understand it. *If you look at that 2 liter soda
bottle, it will show you it is 67.6 ounces and no, I did not have to
look it up. *Wine and spirits are 750 ml and 1 liter too.

There can be any amount of ounces in a litre.
How many gallons are in a mile?
It makes no sense to conjugate them.
Just as "cups" is nonsense.

I understand how cups were invented but there is a better way. *Back
in the day, after milking the cows, you would have a bucket of milk.
That was ok. Call it a gallon. *Now we need a way to divide it up, so
you take half and I will take half.

Take that and split it in half. *Then split that in half. *Then split
that in half. *Eventually you get a 15/16 wrench.

There is a better way. *Divide things by 10 instead and fractions go
away. *Now isn't that better? *Yes much. *It is so much easier, in
fact, that kids would jump at the idea at having a choice. *Just give
them a few math problems and see.

Who still loves fractions? *Kids.......you want to make fractions go
away forever? * Yeah!

The way to make it go away is to just let the kids stop talking about
"cups" at all. *Old folks just keep using "cups" as long as you have
recipes that are given in "cups" and slowly replace them with kids
that understand liters naturally.

The time you save by eliminating fractions can be used for a few
"ballpark" conversions that the "old folk" use.- Hide quoted text -

Fractions give an exact result. *Decimal often results in
approximations.
Eg there is no decimal one third or one seventh.- Hide quoted text -

Decimals are more precise, just depends on how minute yu want the
measure, *10ths? *100ths? 1,000ths? *and continue on down into the
billionths if you want. *And it can be done without a pencil and
paper. Try that with fractions.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

OK, write me out one seventh in decimal.