Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shop heat question

I agree, that fossil fuels do contain hydrogen and carbon. Hey, we could
coin a phrase. How about we call them hydrocarbons, for short? You know,
that's kind of catchy.

My residence has a 90% plus efficiency furnace, that uses natural gas for
fuel. In the winter, it's so dry I use about a gallon (often more) per day
of water in my humidifier. To keep it comfortable for me. Otherwise, it
would be painfully dry. You say that fuel furnaces over humidify? Mine dumps
the humidity out the flue, and the humidity is of no use for me.

The OP may be able to get a vented heater of some sort, that will vent the
flue gasses out, keep the place warm, and keep the place dry.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

I strongly advise against a propane (or any other fossil fuel)
heater. These are mostly combinations of hydrogen and carbon. The
carbon just gives CO2 -- or if the combustion is not very complete, CO
-- carbon monoxide, which you don't want to be breathing. (Add a CO
detector if you *must* use the fuel approach.)

However -- the other combustion product is water vapor, which
it is pouring into a room full of cold metal tools. The result will be
condensation and rust.

Usually, the main trick is keeping the tools a bit warmer than
the air -- something like an incandescent lamp in the castings to
generate heat, which will reduce condensation. (At least, for as long
as you can still buy incandescent lamps. There are times when you
*want* the inefficiency and the resulting heat. :-)

Electric heat will not generate moisture -- and you might
discover that you would like a little more humidity -- but your machine
tools would not. :-)

All suggestions greatly appreciated. BTW, ceiling will have 8
four-foot four-lamp fluorescent lights.

Hmm ... there are similar fixtures of radiant heat sources --
rig it up so you can turn on only the one directly above where you are
working to keep the energy cost down a bit.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564