Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Low boy Trailer re-wiring

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 19:09:36 -0600, Ignoramus15400
wrote:

I finally have got enough time to look at my trailer and tried to find
out why electricals were [mostly] not working. I did some standard
troubleshooting tricks and found out that I have a bad ground
connection. When I cleaned up an area of the trailer with an angle
grinder and hooked up a 12v negative to that, instead of white on the
plug, the lights lit up.

This trailer uses the body of the trailer as a negative ground. I have
a feeling that it does not work well after rust sets in.

It was built like a damned Brit car, eh? That sucks. ;/

I would like to ask if it makes sence to just redo it all, rip out and
throw everything away, and make new wiring.

Absolutely. It'll take you 1-3 hours and cost under $50, unless you
already have some UV-rated extension cabling. Does it have a channel
or box frame? Feed it through a box frame or clip it to channel. Run
separate grounds, then ground through the connector. I prefer 7-wire.

Since I have forklifts, I can easily turn the trailer to the side or
upside down.

Sure! You could flip it up and lean it securely and safely, just like
this guy did to weld his gas tank: http://goo.gl/4Bxoe ( NOT! )

--
Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai