Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default OT The metric conversion of the US would happen if they taught itin school.

On Jan 1, 8:36*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 1/1/2012 10:04 AM, Harry K wrote:

On Dec 31 2011, 10:49 am, The Daring Dufasthe-daring-
*wrote:
On 12/31/2011 12:01 PM, Harry K wrote:

On Dec 30, 8:48 pm, The Daring
wrote:
On 12/30/2011 9:31 PM, Harry K wrote:

On Dec 30, 3:29 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
* * *wrote:
One of my most compelling *stories of conversion failure is the "Gimli
Glider", where the Air Canada guys wern't trained in metric, and they sent
an airplane with too little fuel. Not good at all. I just watched a show
about that, and it's terrifying.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Harry * * *wrote in message

Not sure the Brits have fully converted. They still weigh themselves
in stones

Errors? *Ya mean like the famous one that cost NASA one orbiter and
one Mars lander due to two teams, one using metric, the other this
abortion of a system? *That kind of error

Harry K

Yep. *Those picnickers were scrambling and piloting an engine out 747
to a safe landing...Wow!

Harry K

It wasn't a 747, it was a 767 twin engine airliner. ^_^

http://archives.cbc.ca/science_techn...cs/clips/1155/

http://preview.tinyurl.com/59tcnv

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. *I actually had to google that befoe I believed you? *It ain't
what *you know that hurts, it is what one knows that is wrong

Harry K

I remembered that the pilots made that incredible emergency landing and
afterwards, every time it was tried in a simulator, the plane crashed.
I think the pilot flew gliders for fun and actually used his glider
skills by side slipping the big plane to bleed off air speed. ^_^

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I recall something about gliders but 'side slipping' is part of
standard powered flight training also.

Harry K

I seem to remember, that because of no power, the airliner's air brakes
were non-functional so he had to side slip like a simple glider to slow
down.

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Side slips are done in the air to avoid overshooting the runway not on
the ground. Trying one one the ground begs for a rollover.

Harry K