Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

On 2012-01-01, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 19:20:06 -0500, "
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 23:22:10 -0800, Gunner Asch wrote:

[ ... ]

Pick up a decent trackball and you wont go back

I hate 'em. My fingers won't take a trackball; very bad ergonomics.

Which brand have you tried? Logitech makes the best by far.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Wir...-/390371025354

Hmm ... that one would be bad news for me, because I've got 11
computers running up here at the moment (granted, six of them share one
keyboard and mouse via a KVM switch), and keeping one keyboard from
talking to another computer could be a bit tricky. Most people who buy
wireless keyboards and mice are using them on a single computer in a
private location. Picture them all over a computer lab. :-)

I have an earlier usb version of that one..everyone loves it.

This one in fact...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Tra...-/110798947368

Now that is what I am using -- except that it is the USB flavor,
which my newer Sun workstatons accept happily. (Mine is the silver
finish version, Velcroed to the arm of the Lay-Z-Boy style chair, so it
does not fall off the arm all the time. The old Sun optical mice were
very nice except for that problem. (The Velcro pad keeps me from
reading the precise model number off the bottom of that particular
mouse. :-)

The only repeating problem with these is that (in a house with
two cats) lint accumulates, carried in by the ball, and deposited around
the little Nylon "mountains" which support the ball. I have to pull the
trackball off the arm, reach through with something to pop the ball out,
and blow it out. But even the optical mice would develop a buildup of
lint and skin oils on the sliding pads, which would have to be replaced
from time to time. :-)

No repeative arm motions..just the thumb and two fingers. And mostly the
thumb and one finger (index)

as you may notice with the ebay trackball offers..they always have 6-15
bids. There is a reason for that.

Yep -- very good trackballs. The only disadvantage to this
style is that it is very awkward to use left-handed, so I don't. I used
to swap the mouse to left-handed operation when I was getting close to
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome problems.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564