Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill[_42_] Bill[_42_] is offline

Default Turning Chisels Follow up

On 1/1/2012 3:19 PM, James wrote:
Fred Holder wrote:

On Jan 1, 9:26 am, wrote:

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net

I actually purchased a HF 1" vertical belt sander that I use on my old
tools. I probably can get away with it for a while. I also have a 8"
bench grinder but it turns at 3450rpm. Jim

Don't worry about the 3450 RPM, it will be fine, just use a very light
touch - the slow speed grinder just takes off metal more slowly (and
hence heats chisels less) - with a light touch you will be fine with
your current grinder. And don't bother with special wheels if money is
an issue, the standard gray wheels will work fine - get a scrap of
carbide from somewhere (like a broken carbide tool bit) so you can
square off the wheel if it gets a groove in it.

Jerry Glaser, who as you know was one of the foremost turning tool
makers, used a 3600 RPM grinder to form his tools. I have a slow speed
grinder, but I got it cheaply - what is more important is to make one of
the sharpening tools so you get a uniform shape - it's particularly hard
if you don't have a lot of experience, to freehand a fingernail grind,
so that's where the sharpening jig is really helpful.

try to avoid "turner's disease", in which you have to get all sorts of
tools - you will see that the professionals that are any good can make a
beautiful piece with just one or two tools, you don't need a room full.