Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless
miso miso is offline

Default Does having multiple RJ45 jacks degrade the Internet signal alot?

On 12/31/2011 6:36 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 01:55:41 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee
wrote:

But, wouldn't a short N-female-to-N-male pigtail be even better (with the
bullet tie-wrapped to the mast, for example)?

About the same as far as RF loss is concerned. Much worse if you
consider water incursion. If you wrap the right angle connector,
there will be no movement to break the waterproofing seal. However,
with a pigtail, unless the M2 is properly secured to the panel
antenna, it's gonna leak. If you're really careful to use a drip loop
and plenty of slack, you might be able to secure the M2 to the mast,
but I think the first time you move the mast, you're going to loose
the seal.

Incidentally, my method of waterproofing is to mummify the connector
using 1/2" or preferably 1" teflon pipe wrap. On top of that, apply a
layer of 3M Scotch 33+ 7 mil electrical tape. All it does is hold the
teflon tape in place. Spray with a thin coat of clear Krylon spray to
make it UV proof.

I had a temporary setup that got blown down by the wind. It was the one
time I didn't use a pigtail. It smashed the Alfa 036H. The PCB has a
bulge under the RPSMA connector. It also smells bad when powered up. I
suspect it draws more than the allowed half an amp off the usb bus
because the notebook was very unhappy booting up with the damaged unit
attached.

I got the tube version. It is about $10 extra. No adapter required, i.e.
it goes right to a N connector. [Like when did that become legal?] I use
the elbow. I may mount the "tube" in a metal box just to make it more
rugged. I find the tube version is slightly more sensitive than the 036H
that Alfa sells. Not a big difference, but a step in the right direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-hduzWv5Dw

It comes with a heavy usb cable of the "extension" flavor. I have a few
real watertight feedthroughs I've got from junked NEMA boxes. I don't
think the scheme alfa uses is really watertight on the USB side.

Anyway, a pigtail is probably more likely to fail than a right angle
connector.

I don't suggest people purchase antennas with pigtails on them. That
seems like a design destined to fail.