Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Cutting off the top edge of a car battery?

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 09:46:37 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

" wrote:

On Dec 31 2011, 11:40Â*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

-snip-
Is the fuse box cover your only concern? Â*The last time I replaced a
fuse on a car was back in the early 70's. Â*I'd not worry about it at
all.

That's what I was thinking too. If it just makes getting the fuse
box cover off somewhat more difficult, I wouldn't worry about it
either. I've only replaced maybe one fuse in the last 20 years
here too. I however checked them a little more often than that
when something wasn't working and as usual, started with the
fuse.

You guys just driving 2-3 yr old cars? My Impala is 'only' 10 yrs
old and I've had the covers off those panels [inside each of the front
doors- so handy] a dozen times at least-- Not even counting the time,
last year, that I fried the wires with one of those cigg. lighter
compressors.

And these have been random fuses-- not an ongoing problem.

That's weird.
Usually a fuse blowing means something is wrong., and the same fuse
will blow again.
Maybe it was a batch of sub-par fuses when they built it.
My '97 Lumina only blew one fuse so far.
I put a reman A/C compressor on it blew the fuse as soon as it kicked
on. Did the same to a second fuse so I pulled the compressor off and
exchanged it.
That one leaked at the shaft seal after a couple months.
On vacation in Florida where it was 95 degrees and near 100% humidity.
Exchanged that for an OEM and an extra 100 bucks.
Lot of wasted labor and 134a.
I'll never buy a reman A/C compressor again.

--Vic