Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
James[_28_] James[_28_] is offline

Default Turning Chisels Follow up

Fred Holder wrote:

On Jan 1, 9:26*am, "James" wrote:
Thanks for the information and input it helped me make some choices.
I've discounted both Chinese and the Great Neck tools. I leaning
toward either a *Hamlet or Crown 3/4" Roughing *gouge, either
Hamlet, Crown or possibly P&N 1/2" Bowl gouges. Hamlet, Crown or
P&N 1/2" spindle gouges. Price wise the P&N's are the most
reasonable but require handles. I'm considering buying one handle
(wood) to use as a template and making my own using Oneway's
Thread-Loc system. One thing I've seen about the P&N tools is that
they may require sharping before use. I don't know if this is true
if it is I would have to have it done at my local Woodcraft store
which would add to the overall cost as I don't have a way to do it
now. This might push me toward the Hamlet or Crown tools. I've also
looked at Thompson lathe tools very nice and within reason. One
other question some of the gouges are not to be used on bowls. I
know that your suppose to use a bowl gouge across the face and to
turn the inside but what do you rough the outside with? Thanks. Jim
in ID

--

Hello Jim,

You've made a good decision to skip the cheap tools, because they do
not generally hold their edge for very long. However, you are missing
one thing, basically none of the tool are more than ground to shape.
They are not sharp when you purchase them. Secondly, tools require
resharpening often, so you need your own sharpening system. I've been
using the inexpensive 8 inch grinders from Woodcraft that come with
white wheels. The grinder is generally around $100.00, sometimes less
when on sale. For my Christmas present in 1999, I purchased the
Woodcraft eight grinder and the OneWay Sharpening jig. I've never been
sorry. The grinder is as much of a turning tool as the lathe and the
chisels.

If you happen to have a belt sander that will swing up vertical, you
can use it to sharpen tools. I did this for several years before
purchasing the Woodcraft slow speed grinder. It does work, but the
grinder with jigs is better.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net

I actually purchased a HF 1" vertical belt sander that I use on my old
tools. I probably can get away with it for a while. I also have a 8"
bench grinder but it turns at 3450rpm. Jim