Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] russellseaton1@yahoo.com is offline

Default Turning Chisels Follow up

Not sure its 100% wise to discount all Chinese tools. Harbor Freight
makes an 8 piece HSS set for spindle work. The High Speed Steel part
is the key. It has a 3/4" roughing gouge, couple scrapers, couple
skew chisels, and a spindle gouge. Two of the tools you want are in
this set. Plus scrapers are good for bowls. For starting up and
learning how to grind tools, its a fine set. Add a big bowl gouge and
you are pretty set. Big bowl gouge does both the inside and outside
of bowls. Scraper I guess could also do both inside and outside.

As others mentioned, you need a sharpening system as soon as you get
tools. 8 inch slow speed grinder with white friable wheels is good.

On Jan 1, 11:26*am, "James" wrote:
Thanks for the information and input it helped me make some choices.
I've discounted both Chinese and the Great Neck tools. I leaning toward
either a *Hamlet or Crown 3/4" Roughing *gouge, either Hamlet, Crown or
possibly P&N 1/2" Bowl gouges. Hamlet, Crown or P&N 1/2" spindle
gouges. Price wise the P&N's are the most reasonable but require
handles. I'm considering buying one handle (wood) to use as a template
and making my own using Oneway's Thread-Loc system. One thing I've seen
about the P&N tools is that they may require sharping before use. I
don't know if this is true if it is I would have to have it done at my
local Woodcraft store which would add to the overall cost as I don't
have a way to do it now. This might push me toward the Hamlet or Crown
tools. I've also looked at Thompson lathe tools very nice and within
reason. One other question some of the gouges are not to be used on
bowls. I know that your suppose to use a bowl gouge across the face and
to turn the inside but what do you rough the outside with? Thanks. Jim
in ID