Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default Low boy Trailer re-wiring

Ignoramus15400 wrote:
I finally have got enough time to look at my trailer and tried to find
out why electricals were [mostly] not working. I did some standard
troubleshooting tricks and found out that I have a bad ground
connection. When I cleaned up an area of the trailer with an angle
grinder and hooked up a 12v negative to that, instead of white on the
plug, the lights lit up.

This trailer uses the body of the trailer as a negative ground. I have
a feeling that it does not work well after rust sets in.

Just like 99% of trailers out there.

I would like to ask if it makes sence to just redo it all, rip out and
throw everything away, and make new wiring.

That would be the best way. Use a standard trailer color code and run
power/ground to ALL lights.

Run the wiring in conduit and on the front end install a sealed junction
box. In it connect all the grounds to one point. All the markers to
another, turn signals and such go to their own spots.
When you do this I would suggest adding back-up lights. Charging circuit
for on-board battery. Plus any other items you might want later.

Since I have forklifts, I can easily turn the trailer to the side or
upside down.

Steve W.