Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default OT The metric conversion of the US would happen if they taught it in school.

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

I understand how cups were invented but there is a better way. Back
in the day, after milking the cows, you would have a bucket of milk.
That was ok. Call it a gallon. Now we need a way to divide it up, so
you take half and I will take half.

You mean all those half gallon and quart things of milk in the grocery
don't exist? (cue the Twilight Zone theme)

Take that and split it in half. Then split that in half. Then split
that in half. Eventually you get a 15/16 wrench.

All done with the appropriate measuring utensils. Easy peazy (to
quote Charlie Sheen among others)

There is a better way. Divide things by 10 instead and fractions go
away. Now isn't that better? Yes much. It is so much easier, in
fact, that kids would jump at the idea at having a choice. Just give
them a few math problems and see.

Again done my different set of measuring utensils. You don't
eyeball a quart of milk any more than you eyeball an mL of milk or
whatever. So you just decide what you want and get out the right
measuring utensils. I have yet to find a lot of reasons to so the
conversions and I have been a nurse for years. And when if it was
needed, the pharmacy and/or the dispensing computer did what was needed
to make the conversion.