Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Pinhole in 2" Steam pipe

On Dec 31 2011, 7:58*pm, Mikepier wrote:
For what its worth, the boiler is a WeilMcClain EGH-95 steam boiler:

http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/our-pr...ercial-boilers...

Just read through that. Very interesting.
I never realised that such crap was still made.
It's the sort of thing one reads about in text books and marvels at
how primitive, limited and inefficient things were in Victorian
times.
It must also be expensive to buy and has a few inherent hazards.

I can't think of a single advantage it has to make any one want one.
Unless it be to replace a similar one.

You need to do a costing exercise to see what advantage there would be
in replacing the system with a modern one.
There may well be a general corrosion problem throughout the system
that will force your hand in any event..
But if you have gas, think decentralisation. There will be no problem
in halving your fuel bill. Maybe more than that.

This was my field before I retired. I would have been delighted to
find such a sytem, it would be easy to make massive savings and look
wonderful! Heh Heh.

Thank you for telling me about it.