Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Lincoln square wave TIG 300 problems

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Thanks, Jon. I'll download some of them and see how repairable they
look. I'm looking for something to do when I turn 62, and am moved
from VA disability to Social Security. Currently, I'm not allowed any
other income and have been working to repair my shop and build some new
benches, to keep busy on the days I can work around the house.

Well, they don't have a huge theory of operation section, and many of the
newer welders are computer-controlled, limiting the number of points
you can probe. But, I think they are quite well-built and should be
repairable with the manual. Of course, you can get one that has extremely
expensive damage like a bad transformer or SCR block.

The only repair I've done on mine was a capacitor in the post-flow
timer was bad. I traced that back with the machine wiring drawing
and then traced it onto the board to the specific component.
The current problem I'm having looks like a bad torch cable, I can't
BELIEVE it took me this long to figure out something was REALLY wrong,
here! I am positive it has been this way since I got it, and just never
really thought why the voltage meter would always read so high. I would
have had to find it except that it "heals" itself after you try to start an
arc for a few minutes. But, I think the cable is slowly rotting inside the
hose, and the resistance just keeps going higher.

Jon