Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting off the top edge of a car battery?

On Dec 31 2011, 11:40*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 22:24:22 -0500, micky
wrote:

What tool would you use to cut the black hard rubber? top end off of a
car battery, the part that holds the plastic handle on? * Hack saw,
eledtric sabre saw? *Some sort of hot wire device? *??

And is this a bad idea for some reason?

The battery in there now has no handle, but at least 3 chain stores
around here, Autozone, Advance, and PepBoys, *sell batteries that are
the same size and shape, even though they are different brand names..
And if I want as many CCA as I have now, the end willl make it even
harder to get the fuxse box cover off.

Is the fuse box cover your only concern? *The last time I replaced a
fuse on a car was back in the early 70's. *I'd not worry about it at
all.

That's what I was thinking too. If it just makes getting the fuse
box cover off somewhat more difficult, I wouldn't worry about it
either. I've only replaced maybe one fuse in the last 20 years
here too. I however checked them a little more often than that
when something wasn't working and as usual, started with the
fuse.

If you are cutting a protruding lip, not a big deal, but if you are
cutting the actual case, I'd not touch it. *Not worth the risk.

Agree. If it's a clear extension piece to the case and he just
wants to take that off I'd probably use a hacksaw. Can't say
for sure without seeing it though.

As you noted, battery case sizes are standard and every manufacturer
uses the same one. *They should standardize more parts, filters,,
alternators, etc.