Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Can a Syncrowave 250 run from a 60A circuit

Jon Elson wrote:

Ignoramus21023 wrote:

I have a 60A circuit that would be very convenient to hook up to my
Syncrowave 250. It says that it requires 105A. I believe that this
would be if I use it at the highest setting, like carbon arc gouging
or welding aluminum, of which I do neither. All I do is stick and TIG
welding under 150 amps. Am I potentially looking for trouble? I do not
think so, but thought I would check.

The circuit is properly fused.

I think you can get away with it, unless the machine has a HUGE phase
correction bank. I am now running my Lincoln Square Wave TIG 300
on a 100 A breaker, but it will run on a 70 A breaker, at least at
reasonable output currents. It has trouble below 70 A due to the
huge power factor caps in it.

Trouble? It can't do any worse than tripping the breaker on you.

I'm not sure on that. If you are running high amps and trip he breaker
and your cooler is plugged into the Syncro's outlet you loose coolant
circulation as well. If I were running this way *and* trying to do heavy
work I'd make sure the cooler was on a separate circuit.