Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Lets have green public transport

On Dec 31 2011, 2:02*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
* *tony sayer wrote:

I also recall one of the car comics doing a cost-to-coast US trip in a
Pious. The American chase car did better mpg.

I think that people don't have much appreciation just how much "energy"
there is in a gallon of petrol. And just how much energy it takes to
shove a motor car of any decent size around.....

The electric car lobby just don't accept they are like any other vehicle -
the harder it is driven, the more energy it uses. Or the heavier it is, or
the more load it carries, etc etc.

If you claimed a diesel or petrol car had the same range at 50 mph and 100
mph you'd be known to be deranged. But the electric car makers do just
this with impunity. And those with no brain cells believe them.

Percentagewise, electric cars are even worse driven at speed.
Aerodynamic losses vary with the square of speed and are not
recoverable.