Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Federal Pacific panel replace tips

I am embarassed to say. I did think to padlock shut the main breaker box
outside, but I neglected to. I did check for power, before doing much. Yours
is a very appropriate reminder.

Glad the eletrician you mention wasn't killed.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

I treat everything like it's energized whether it's on or not because
I've seen too many people get hurt. Years ago, I heard of a young
electrician on an industrial job who was hooking up a transformer that
used a 4,160 volt primary and when he leaned back to admire his work,
his hair suddenly stood on end. He looked down to the floor below and
some guy was going up and down a line of disconnects turning them on and
off while looking around to see what came on. The young fellow who
felt the tingle climbed down from where he was, walked up to switch
flipper and without saying a word, proceeded to beat the crap out of
him. It was like the scene in the bar of the Star Wars movie where
everyone went back to their business after the antagonist was shot dead.
The electrical incident occurred before OSHA came into existence but I
think there were tags but no locks on the switches. I don't trust anyone
around high voltage and I'm going to test things for myself before I
touch it and I'm going to lock it out myself. A volt meter
should be the first thing to touch an electrical circuit of any voltage
before you do.

TDD