Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default Shop heat question

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Finishing up framing a 13'x36' shop area within my large shop. Walls and 8
foot ceiling fully insulated. All surfaces are 1/2" oriented strand board,
along with a couple of double insulated windows looking into the bigger
shop. There is 4" insulation in walls and 6" in ceiling. Concrete floor
with vinyl tile. Power available for heating would be either electricity or
propane.

Would like to maintain 50°F to keep machinery from rusting. Outside
temperatures average around 36-38°F through the winter months. I don't
require a warmer temperature for working. Can always place a small propane
heater next to me if I'm going to stand in one place for a long time.

All suggestions greatly appreciated. BTW, ceiling will have 8 four-foot
four-lamp fluorescent lights.

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary

Propane will produce a lot of water vapor, which will readily condense out
onto any colder cast iron surfaces and cause rusting because of dewpoint
issues and so I would seriously suggest using an electric infra red
spot-heater instead.

Other than that, you can figure that for all practical purposes, your
flourescents will be serving double duty as strip heaters--( not necessarily
a good thing in summer but...) just calculate the total wattage of your
lighting buss and go ahead and turn them on in advance--if you're insulated
well enough then it could even be that's all you really even need.