Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fridge compressor failing?

On 12/31/2011 12:32 PM, Steve B wrote:
wrote:
Please let us know how it works out. Us repair techs prefer home owners to
call a repair tech.
Christopher A. Young

I can see why you like to be called out.

You're one of those guys who charge $100 to come out and fix a $10 problem,
then give a warranty that expires when your tires leave contact with the
driveway?

My last experience was a guy who wanted $700 to replace motherboard and
"stuff" in my nearly new oven. I pulled unit, unplugged and replugged,
looked up error code in the tech packet inside the oven cavity, and fixed
the $22 self cleaning interlock myself. A couple of screws, a couple of
spade terminals. BTW, I got back my $100 service/diagnostic call when I
mentioned my nephew was a cameraman with the local unit that investigates
consumer fraud.

Motherboard was fine.

Steve

Steve, most repair techs are honest and are not going to rip people off
and when I talk to other guys at the supply house, we discuss who the
crooks are and it usually winds up being one or a few organizations
that have a corporate policy or culture of sticking it to customers. I
know more than one fellow who has gone to work for such nefarious
service companies and resigned after a short time because of the company
attitude toward customers. I don't blame you at all for being
suspicious of a high estimate to repair your appliance. Unfortunately
many people aren't as savvy as you are when it comes to dealing with
repair techs. That's how those companies afford shiny new trucks. :-(

TDD