Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Back stabbed outlets and Daisy chaining, Christmas tree lamps

Art Todesco wrote:
Thanks for all the good discussion. I was primarily curious what
everyone thought and I now have a good idea. I will probably use the
pigtail/wire nut method as much as possible, when I make the changes.
But, I probably won't go and do it wholesale, all at one time.
Actually, the other day I had to open 3 outlets for another reason. I did
use the screws to daisy chain in 2 of 3 outlets. The 3rd, as I
had mentioned used the back stabs plus one pair of screws. On this
one, the 3 wires were connected together with a wire nut and a 4th
wire stub to the outlet screw. Yes, I guess I should have demanded
that the electrician do it "my way", however, the guy was kind of a
jerk and I didn't want to push the issue.

Trick: Are all your original outlets ground-plugs pointing in the same
direction? Either up or down? As you replace or improve on them, reverse the
orientation - if the ground plug was up, rotate the outlet so the ground
plug is down. Or vice-versa.

Then, as you progress with the project, you can tell immediately what needs
fixing.

Pay no attention to those who say God told them that a certain orientation
was righteous and the other sinful. Or that a Mayan monkey spoke to them in
a dream and relayed the straight skinny.