Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default OT The metric conversion of the US would happen if they taught it in school.

Kurt Ullman wrote in
m:

Which sorta reinforces my argument that those in the US who need to use
metrics can and in those areas where it isn't needed (mile markers for
instance) we can stay the same. Measurements are, in the final
analysis, just numbers and numbers are just ways of rather arbitrarily
if think about, to assign a value.

Indeed! We agree again!
Coming from a metric country to the US at age 25, and active in science,
I have never forgotten metric, and I got fairly easily used to US
measurements with all their (silly) subdivisions.
Here is how to look at it:

A quart is a little less than a liter.
An inch is about 2.54 cm
A pound is 453 grams
A mile is about 1.6 km.

For the rest it is a question of powers of 10 for metric measurements.
Duh.

But I have never been able to nicely guess how far away another km or
mile was.

Oh yea, a brisk, but not too brisk walking pace is 5 km/hr or 3 miles/hr
(with proper inaccuracies built in).

--
Best regards
Han