Posted to uk.d-i-y
hugh hugh is offline

Default Lets have green public transport

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , Tim
Streater writes
In article , Doctor Drivel

On 2011-12-30, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Strange. My memory gives a constantly rising standard of living and
financial stability for much of the 15 years or so of the last labour
government.

Funded entirely by debt, leading to ...
That is tripe spouted by brainwashed Tory voting fool.
Labour inherited a basket case on 1997. The Tories inherited pretty
well the strongest economy in the Western world.

Stuff and nonsense. In 1997, inflation was at 2.5% and had been for at
least three years. Unemployment was falling fast. Source for both of
these? The Economist.

YEAR : Surplus/deficit, £m : Party in power
1991 -8,142 Con
1992 -29,259 Con
1993 -40,576 Con
1994 -36,268 Con
1995 -28,232 Con
1996 -22,749 Con
1997 -11,246 Lab
1998 6,903 Lab
1999 17,474 Lab
2000 21,489 Lab
2001 19,646 Lab

So your figures stop on 2001. Any particular reason for that - like
huge deficits building up from 2002 perhaps?

So far (unless I missed it) PFI has not been mentioned. ISTM that this
is *off the books* expenditure and ought to be included in GB's record.

regards

Very true. That's how all the infrastructure was to be paid for - by
lumbering the next generation with debt levels comparable to 1945, which
we'd only just paid off.
The final example was the Thameslink train contract
--
hugh