Swingman

Default Crosscut Sled - epiphany

"Jeffrey Thunder" wrote in message
B a r r y writes:
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 04:51:15 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

No you don't. Unless they are at an exact 45 degrees, one will be

longer
than the other.

B.) Many miters have one side longer than the other. Think
rectangular box, trimming the base of a bookcase, etc...

I think you're thinking of perfect squares only.

I won't claim to know what Andrew was/is thinking, but when the
angle isn't 45 degrees, one cut will be longer than the other.
(If this isn't clear, you can draw a simple picture to see
what is meant.) This will most often give a result which few would
argue is a "perfect miter."

The length of the sticks being joined isn't the point of contention,
it's the joint which will look bad.

Yabbut, with the miter jig as described, whereby complementary angles are
used to arrive at a 90 degree joint, the angle discrepancy is generally so
small that it doesn't make a tinker's damm about the length of one side
versus the other.

IOW, anyone who has ever used a properly made jig of this type will testify
that there is nothing wrong with the appearance of the resulting miter
joint.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/05/04