Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell Nick Odell is offline

Default Leaky house. Would a surveyor help?

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 03:03:29 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 30/12/2011 23:21, Steve Walker wrote:
On 30/12/2011 18:39, mike wrote:
On Dec 30, 6:29 pm, Terry wrote:
In article9d66e66c-d037-462f-bec1-
, says...

On Dec 30, 4:16 pm, wrote:
On Dec 30, 3:27 pm, Another wrote:

1928 2-storey detached house. Top storey rendered and somebody put
cavity insulation in 10 years ago ( I've owned it for four years).

Sounds like a pointing problem.

Sounds more like a bridged cavity, doesn't it?

In a house built in 1928 ...?

Well, cavities became common in the UK in the 1920's, didn't they?
Our 1930 house has a cavity. The OP said it's cavity construction and
it's not uncommon for builders to throw crap down the cavity or mortar
snots to get caught on any ties, or any subsequent modification to
result in debris falling into the cavity.

Our 1935 house and the 1934 bungalow next door have cavities, my
parents' 1935 house 3/4 mile away has solid walls. According to previous
threads here, quite a few Victorian houses have cavities.

It's all a bit random really.

Yup, our previous 1956 house was solid wall...

Ditto here but 1962.

Nick