Posted to uk.d-i-y
MuddyMike MuddyMike is offline

Default High lift jack vs ratchet winch

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , andrew
writes
Bill wrote:

I've been dithering about buying a high lift farm jack type device for a
couple of jobs, one of which is pulling a boat upright on a trailer

I've carried Hi lifts for more than 20 years and they're not very useful
for
pulling as you tend to use a lot of the active length in taking up slack.
also have a 5 tonne chain and ratchet winch which is much more
controlable.

Hi Lift jacks do require a lot of care in use because of their inherent
instability.

AJH

They can be lethal if not used correctly particularly when lowering the
load.

I have both a high lift and a Tirfor winch. The Tirfor is by far the best
tool for pulling anything. I bought it for self recovery but have never
needed it for that. I have however had good use out of it for pulling up
tree stumps, positioning a mobile home, pulling trees in the right direction
when felling, and have used it as an engine hoist.

Mike