alexy

Default Extension leaf design for dining room table

Melvin P. Schtepner wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to design or where to find
design ideas for a dining room table that will expand to accomodate 20
people? I am planning about 24 inches per person plus an additional
16 inches at each end. Unfortunately, this extends the table to
something like 250 inches, much too long for a traditional leaf
design.

Looking for ideas...
Thanks in advance.

Check out Thomas Moser's _Measured Shop Drawings for American
Furniture_. I have found that even if I want to build something of a
slightly different look, this book gives lots of ideas for design
principles and construction. It has plans for some very long tables,
made, if I remember correctly, with a combination of leaves and a
removable center section.

Depending on how small you may want to go, I like the idea mentioned
here of independent tables that can be "ganged" together to form a
long table. Gives flexibility for other seating arrangements, e.g. 4
to 6 people per table for large, less formal dining situations.

--
Alex