Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller[_3_] Doug Miller[_3_] is offline

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

On 12/30/2011 6:08 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Doug wrote in message
On 12/30/2011 12:14 PM, Steve B wrote:

Is that like a spark plug? Plugs and spark plugs seem to me to be an
item
that if one does not know how to insert and tighten properly, they need
go on to basketweaving, or something.

I guess you should go on to basketweaving or something, then -- since you
don't know that tightening a spark plug properly means using a torque
wrench. The world's changed some in the last thirty years or so, but you
don't seem to have noticed. Most cars don't have iron heads any more, and
the factory service manuals all give torque specifications for spark
plugs.

Why would any sane person want to use
a torque wrench on an oil plug?

For the same reason you use a torque wrench on spark plugs, or on anything
else: to make sure it's tight enough that it won't come apart, but not so
tight as to do damage.

I sure am glad you don't work on my cars. I'd hate to see what happens
when you install spark plugs into an aluminum head, or reassemble an
aluminum transmission housing...

I guess I am old school. Little things mean a lot to a "real" mechanic.
Like when the threads bottom out. Like when it feels "tight". Like when it
feels like it's 1/4 turn past "tight". Like sometimes when even the factory
specs are way past the point of failure.

I'll continue with my "feel" way of doing things, and I will leave those to
their "factory settings", and bet you a cheeseburger that I have fewer
failures or overreefing of threads.

You're on.

YMMV, IMHO, and all that crap.

Reality is nature's way of keeping things straight.

Helicoils were made for a reason.................................

Yes, they were. They were made because of "mechanics" like you.