Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default squirrels attacking maple trees

On Dec 29, 2:54*pm, Matt wrote:
I have a couple of big silver maples, 40 years old and about three feet
in diameter.

snip

What is the best way to stop the damage and make the trees live longer?

Silver maples are one of our commonest fast growing weed trees. Any
city with a large population of these trees has rather high damage
problem after every high wind weather event.
Considering the size and probable condition of your trees , it would
be prudent to plan the removal and replacement as soon as you can.
Contact a tree service soon and if winter work suits them have the
work done now. It will probably be cheaper, since dry wood and bare
branches make it easier.
Come spring, have a better variety put in place and enjoy. Sturdy
Norway maples are good in many places, but your location might have
even better species.
This advice is based on BTDT, as they say. My losses over the years
from white maple disasters, mostly insured, have been several thousand
dollars. Tends to give you an attitude.

Joe