Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.internet.wireless

Default Does having multiple RJ45 jacks degrade the Internet signal a lot?

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 09:13:53 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee
wrote:

However, only the first 100 feet of my installation actually 'needed' to
be outdoor cable. The rest is indoor.

The stuff I excavated on eBay is not outdoor cable. There are various
flavors of outdoor cable. What I think you have is UV proof but not
not waterproof (gel filled). I can't tell from here and the Comtran
web pile is useless:
http://www.comtrancorp.com

However the problem is not UV protection. Since you're just dumping
the cable on the ground, you're going to punch holes in it every time
someone walks on it. Same with critters chewing on the cable. What
you'll need is UV proof, water proof (gel filled), and armoured. Or,
you can use some form of conduit.

Don't spiral the coax down the mast. When you drop the mast for
maintenance, you leave far too many opportunities to punch holes in
the coax when it hits the ground. Same with leaning a ladder against
the mast for inspection. Also visualize what multiple cables going
down the mast will look like. Run the cables down the BACK side of
the mast and secure with black, UV proof, ty-wraps.

Also, in a previous post, you mentioned other electronics stores in
the SF Bay area. Here's a map,
http://ziiz.co/map
created by Glenn Geller, as posted in ba.internet.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D