Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

On 12/30/2011 7:32 AM, Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) wrote:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 21:51:16 -0800, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 12/28/2011 9:55 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Frank wrote:

On 12/28/2011 3:05 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out. The new
stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....

From what I read lately, HF tools are probably just as good.

Honestly, I haven't broken any Craftsman or HF hand tool that I wasn't
*seriously* abusing. I have seen Snap-On tools break under comparable
abuse, so I'm not sure there is any real advantage there.

having been an ASE certified master auto/heavy truck technician for over
30 years, i can ASSURE you the only advantage to the snap on / mac tools
is the fact that the man walks right up to you every week without fail
and asks 'what do you need?'. I still, after all these years have
mostly craftsman tools, but when you need something craftsman doesn't
have or tools you just happen to like the feel for better, (i'm thinking
about my flex head bent handled 3/8" drive ratchet that is over a
hundred dollars from snap on) there is the snap on man on Thursdays
about 1 PM. Not to mention they will finance (usually) without any
credit hassles or checks. A lot of the drivers just carry the revolving
accounts themselves.

The big problem IMHO with the Tool Truck Guys like Mac, Snap-On,
Cornwall, etc. is their Rubber Band Pricing - they figure the "Free
Financing" into the 'List' shelf prices, and the mechanics know but
don't care. They needed the $10K of tools on credit *now* when they
got hired, and they get paid back as they complete jobs.

But the average boob off the street doesn't realize how it works, and
gets ripped nicely. And I'll bet even some mechanics that he's dealt
with for decades don't press for a "better credit rating" price or a
"Cash" price when they need a tool.

-- Bruce--

not sure what your experience has been, but mine with snapon and mac is
that the dealer has always given out a complete price list from the
manufacturer, and that IS the price. (except for the occasional sale).

--
Steve Barker