Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
notbob notbob is offline

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

On 2011-12-30, Vic Smith wrote:
Sears replaced it.
He snapped my 7/8 combo wrench by jumping on it.
Sears replaced it.
His favorite small wrenches are Craftsman and a set of long handle
Pittsburgh from Harbor freight he's had for 6 years.
Says Mac wrenches bend, Craftsman snap.

Nice, if you have Sears within a 100 miles. Not so nice if you
don't.

Says Snap-on flank drive wrenches, which are all they offer now,
round nuts like there's no tomorrow.

Sounds strange, as the whole point (no pun intended) of flank drive is
to engage the flats of the hex so the points are not rounded or
rounded points can still be worked. Is he saying the wrench
intentionally rounds the points so it can work? That's jes silly.

Bonney originally invented the flank design. When the patent expired,
everyone and their dog copied it, even Craftsman. Perhaps not everyone
got it right.

I'd love to hear some of the stories. I have a lifetime of them,
myself. And yes, not all tool companies are good at all tools and a
brand name doesn't ensure quality. One of the cheapest pieces of
Chinese junk I ever paid good money for came off a SnapOn truck. It
broke the first time I used it.

nb

--
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year