Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] karltownsend.NOT@embarqmail.com is offline

Default Cincinnati monoset

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 21:52:05 -0600, Ignoramus23709

On 2011-12-30, wrote:
On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 21:02:05 -0600, Ignoramus23709
wrote:

I have started putting the monoset together from the pile of
attachments and trying (dry) its operation.

To say that I am impressed with this machine, would be to say
nothing. It can even do helical movement. It also comes with a super
high speed attachment, I guess for ID grinding or some such.

I find it very difficult to part with this machine and may keep it
around for a while.

I am wondering, at this point, if I can use this monoset to sharpen
drills. Also, with the monoset, I really do not need any other T&C
grinder. I really need to read the manuals.

I agree. The monoset is the most versatile T&C grinder there is. I'm
not parting with mine.

Thanks, glad to hear.

I built a drill grinding attachment for very large drills using the
monoset. It sharpens them perfectly and really reduces the HP needed
to cut. Plus, the holes don't drill oversize. It uses the exact same
concept as the very cheap general drill grinding attachment.

Do you have a picture of it?

Truthfully, for general drill grinding, this method is just too slow.
I use an M2 darex just like yours for small bits. And normally grind
large drills by hand.

The monoset can provide eccentric primary relief on the side flutes of
endmills. Something you only get with high end endmills like Hanita.
The Hanita website has several pages explaining the advantage of this.
I have a table and can explain the setup to you AFTER you've ground a
few endmills conventionly to get the hang of it.

There is almost no tool that cannot be resharpened or fabricated from
scratch with a monoset.

This is very nice to know. I will pick a few hopelessly busted end
mills and will try sharpening them.

ask me again in Feb. Its not with me right now.

Karl