Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus23709 Ignoramus23709 is offline

Default Cincinnati monoset

On 2011-12-30, azotic wrote:
"Ignoramus23709" wrote in message
I have started putting the monoset together from the pile of
attachments and trying (dry) its operation.

To say that I am impressed with this machine, would be to say
nothing. It can even do helical movement. It also comes with a super
high speed attachment, I guess for ID grinding or some such.

I find it very difficult to part with this machine and may keep it
around for a while.

I am wondering, at this point, if I can use this monoset to sharpen
drills. Also, with the monoset, I really do not need any other T&C
grinder. I really need to read the manuals.

You can sharpen drills, taps, reamers, countersinks, counterbores,
toolbits, chasers and form cutters. Hold on to it for a while and see
how much you use it. Consider offering sharpening as a sideline
in case your auction business gets slow.

Hi Tom, thanks. providing services: What follows is my opinion,
which, as you know, is often wrong. I visit many places and see many
people and businesses and what I see is that people who offer such
services are generally doing badly. Economics of "providing commodity
service" is a very tough business. The only thing worse is being in
"commodity manufacturing", with the added burden of expensive capital
equipment and more environmental regulation.

When I bought a building and started working for myself full time this
year, I swore that I will not a) be making any goods and b) be
providing any services. I decided to do only websites and horse
trading and nothing else.

HOWEVER, I buy and sell a lot of tooling, such as drills, end mills,
and taps. I have opportunities to buy lots more.

This is where a need for a T&C grinder comes. If I can come up with a
cheap to operate process of tool grinding, I could make a lot of money
buying, sharpening and selling metalworking cutting tools. Not just
"here's a tray of used drills AS IS" but "here's a set of professionally
resharpened drills". That could, possibly, make me money and would be
a fun thing to do when "auctions are slow".