McGowan, Scott

Default 20mm channelling/chasing for oval conduit using SDS+ drill and Armeg EBS Extended 20mm Channelling Chisel

Hi all,

I've just borrowed my mate's SDS+ drill and purchased the Armeg EBS Extended
20mm Channelling Chisel (from ScrewFix) to begin channelling plaster/breeze
block for running 20mm oval conduit to some new boxes (12 ceiling-to-box
chases and 12 floor-to-box chases) and I'm just wondering where to start! My
electrician has already chased the plaster, which is not thick enough to
cover/contain the conduit, which means I have the job of chasing slightly
deeper channels in the breeze block (the electrician will not install
conduit - only galvanised capping). I require conduit for the low
voltage/data cabling to provide flexibility in the future!

Unfortunately, this is my first house and my DIY experience is rather
limited! Consequently, I would like to ask the following question(s)
(please):

1. What's the best way to mark cutting/chiselling/channelling lines on
breeze block that has lots of "lines" from an angle grinder (chalk or
something better?)? A big marker pen is fine on plaster, but not on breeze
block!
2. Is it best to "score" or "define" the channels/chases (e.g. manually with
a cold/bolster chisel) before going in with the SDS+ channelling chisel or
can I just put the chisel to the breeze block and follow the marked lines
like a maniac (I don't know because I've never used an SDS+ drill)?
3. Do the channelling chisels (or any SDS+ chisel attachment) have a
tendency to "wander" if you're not very very careful?
4. Is it likely that I will accidentally channel through into my neighbour's
house if I'm not very very (extremely) careful when channelling the breeze
block wall?
5. Will a 20mm (wide) x 10mm (deep) ceiling-to-box or floor-to-box channel
weaken my breeze block wall considerably?
6. With two channels per box, there's a total of about 70 metres of
channelling to do (for the whole house)...Am I being irrational in tackling
the job with such tools?
7. Will the SDS+ drill with channelling attachment be quicker (and tidier)
than an angle grinder and cold/bolster chisel?
8. Approximately how long does it take to channel 1 metre of breeze block
using an SDS+ drill with the correct attachment? 2 minutes? 10 minutes? 1
hour?
9. Alternatively, shall I just get my gloves and goggles on and learn from
my first channel!?

Evidently, I consider the conduit to be critical to completing the project,
which means I'm willing to complete the work myself...

I would appreciate any suggestions regarding the nature of this work...

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Scott McGowan