Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
On 12/29/2011 1:22 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 12/29/2011 7:01 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:
"J. wrote in
in.local:

These days? I broke two of them removing the oil drain plug on my
1980 Honda, before I finally got an impact socket for it (note--I
wasn't using an impact driver, just a breaker bar).

amazing that you didn't tear the threads out of the pan instead of
breaking
a socket. SOMEbody shoulda been using a torque wrench on that plug.
Probably needed a new crush washer too,so it would not need to be
tightened
so tight to prevent leaking.

LMMFAO!! a torque wrench on a drain plug!! oooooooo kayy.

Yes, to prevent overtightening.

Let me guess: you use an impact wrench.

I just put mine in until it contacts the threads. Then another half turn to
be sure. Then 12-18 thuds with a 3/8" air impact set at 90 psi just to be
sure. And one last twist with a breaker bar to see if it will move any more
at all.

So far, so good.

Steve ;-)