Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default High lift jack vs ratchet winch

I have what I call a ratchet winch - a very old small bulbous casting
with a handle and chains coming out each side. I've used it in the past
for lifting the engine out of a boat. I'd forgotten I had it but found
it today when looking for parts of a scaffolding tower in the garage
(poss question about that coming up later!).

I've been dithering about buying a high lift farm jack type device for a
couple of jobs, one of which is pulling a boat upright on a trailer but
I think this winch would probably do that job.. In the past we might
have attached a rope to the Land Rover in low range, but the "children"
are telling me we shouldn't be doing things like that these days and I
need them to help as a second pair of hands/eyes.

My question is which device would give least danger and most precision
in use. I've never used a farm jack, so I don't know anything about
them. Are the cheap ones from ebay like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3503326732...X:IT&_trksid=p
3984.m1423.l2649

any good. Would that also work as a jack for a Mk 1 Disco, or would it
need attachments for that job?

--
Bill