Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Converting warehouse lighting from T12 to T8

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Ignoramus4193 wrote:

My warehouse is lit by T12 based lights that seem like they are from
1970s or 1980s. The minus is that they look old, the plus is that they
are still around after all those years.

As we all know, T12 is being replaced by T8 and T5 lights.

This is all fine and dandy, but the old ballast technology seems to be
a lot more reliable. I hear people complaining that all those
"energy savings" end up being paid to electricians swapping those
electronic ballasts, that die right after warranty expires.

First of all, is this a valid concern?

My shop lighting is 7 of the $15 dual T8 fixtures from 'Depot/Lowe's,
some of the fixtures are now about 9 years old and still working fine,
so I don't think it's a big concern.

I have the same, but mine cost a couple dollars more and are only about 5
years old. Only thing I noticed is when the temps inside the shop get into
the 50s they are slow to come to full brightness. So far haven't had to
replace bulbs or ballasts. I think I have about 17 fixtures. In that same
time I have had to replace 2 CFLs in the office inside the shop.