Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot water heater and recirculator pump

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 18:57:25 -0600, "HeyBub"

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 11:00:16 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

Davej wrote:
Looks like Home Depot has GE and Lowes has Whirlpool. Both offer 6,
9, 12 year models. I was thinking of getting the 9 year (40 gallon)
to be one step above the cheapest. Since I am switching over from
electric to gas I wonder how I might estimate the monthly reduction
I should see on my electric bill?

I also bought one of these some time back and it has been sitting in
the cardboard box;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taco-Bronze-...item43ab6adccc

Since I will be relocating the water heater this may be the right
time to try to install the circulator scheme. This implies a loop,
so I'm thinking of running a smaller pipe back to the pump from the
farthest point (kitchen). The main run is 3/4". I guess the return
to the pump could be 1/2" or even smaller?

1/2" is fine. I installed low voltage push buttons in each room with
hot water needs, and a time delay relay to turn on the pump for long
enough to get the hot water to the faucet. That way the pump hardly
ever runs. Push the button as you walk in the bathroom, and the
water is warm by the time you're done on the toilet. Very little
extra heat is lost, because the extra pipe is rarely hot, but
substantial water is saved. It works very well.

Saving water for me saves substatially, because my sewage charge is
based on water usage, and is a couple times larger than the water
charge.

Same situation here. Sewage based on water - and it costs more to get
rid of it than it does to get it.

Cities get very clever about raising money. My city recently imposed a fee
on the amount of non-porous property we have. That is, house, driveway,
garage, and the like. It's supposedly dedicated to drainage improvements. In
my case, the fee is included on the water bill and is substantially larger
than the water and sewage charges combined.

You in Waterloo Region too?